A Crash Course in Grout….Grout, you know, the stuff between your tiles!
Everything You Need to Know About Grout!
- Sanded grout is a cement-based grout where sand is added into the mix. The sand creates a bond within the grout making it more resistant to cracking and shrinking, and also helps with slip resistance in wet areas. Sanded grout is typically used in grout joints over 1/8th of an inch.
- Non-sanded grout is a cement-based grout used for smaller grout joints with spacing between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch. If used in larger grout joints, a non-sanded grout may crack because of too much shrinkage and because of the lack of sand which creates a bonding effect
- Mixed grout is allowed to set for a minute or two, it is then pushed between set tiles (aka grout joints).
- Once cured the grout will become very hard and will keep the tiles in place, together they act as a layer of protection for the flooring that lies beneath. If subflooring becomes wet it will cause damage that can be costly to repair.
- Grout is porous or sponge-like, which means there are crevices and pockets that collect dirt and grime that over time can stain and/or discolor.
- Steam cleaning and harsh cleaning chemicals will cause grout to break, crack and loosen. Steam and the pressure used to create the steam seep into pockets and crevices causing grout to weaken and come lose. Avoid harsh chemicals as they will cause damage and shorten the life span of your grout. Harsh chemicals such as bleach, any product with bleach in it, or acids can cause cement based grouts to dry, crack, and fail. Click here to learn more about our gentle, yet effective cleaning products.
- Seal your grout! It is the best way to keep it looking fresh and new. Sealing your grout also makes keeping it clean a breeze. (New home builders do not usually seal tiled installations in a new home. The first thing you will want to do is call us to set up an appointment for one of our professionals to come seal all your new grout and tile).
- The color of your grout can be changed without having to relay your tiles. Call us today for a free consultation.