Managing Mold In Your Shower

Managing Mold In Your Shower

Jan 6, 2023 | Grout Tips | 0 comments


Mold is a destructive organism that can overtake grout, stone, and tile in showers and wet areas. Mold is unsightly and unhygienic. Regular use and poor maintenance can cause mold to grow on grout, stone and tile.


Mold is very destructive, unsightly and can cause an array of health issues.  The best way to keep mold away is to understand exactly what mold is and how it grows.

What is mold?  Mold is a part of a microscopic organism called fungi or fungus and is necessary part of nature   Mold spores are so tiny in fact they can float undetected in the air.  They can get into your home through open windows or doors and even transferred inside from your clothing and shoes.  Completely harmless unless a spore finds its way to its happy place…..

How does mold grow? 3 things are necessary to influence mold growth….moisture, warmth and darkness so a shower is the ideal landing place for a mold spore to start its family.  Organic matter such as dust, skin cells, soaps and shampoos will feed the mold and help it grow.

Prevent mold from making your shower its home:

  • Eliminate moisture. Make sure all surfaces are dry after bathing or showering (a small squeegee is a quick way remove water from surfaces).  Opening a window or running your exhaust fan will circulate air and help keep things dry.
  • Repair any leaks or damp areas that could allow moisture to accumulate.  Caulking will prevent water from getting behind your grout and tile and should be replaced every 1-2 years.
  • Keep your shower and other bathroom surfaces clean of organic matter.  A product containing an antibacterial agent will kill the germs and matter that help mold grow.
  • Use mold resistant paint in your bathroom.
  • Sealing your grout and tile will also help prevent mold from growing.  Sealing adds a layer of protection between your surface and mold.  For more information on our Sealing Services click here.

There is no easy way to get rid of mold once it has found its home.  If you notice mold in small patches, hydrogen peroxide OR bleach may do the trick (always make sure there is proper ventilation when using these cleaning agents and never mix any two, noxious gasses can form when mixed together).  If you can smell mold but can’t see it, you may have a leak behind a wall or under the tub.  Call a service professional immediately to find the source and remedy the problem