Our Cleaning Process
Grout is a rough, porous material which makes it a welcoming spot for contaminants. The pores and ridges in grout easily collect dirt, germs, grime, dust, rust, and more.
There are a few reasons why grout becomes discolored. One cause of grout discoloration is the cleaning process. Mop water often moves dirt and soil on the surface of your tile down to the grout lines where it settles and causes stains and discoloration.
Other reasons grout becomes stained or discolored are:
- Normal use, especially in high traffic areas.
- Infrequent maintenance cleaning. We recommend giving your floors and bathrooms a good deep cleaning once a week.
- Liquids spilled on grout can seep deep into the pores causing stains and discoloration.
- Hard water! High concentrations of minerals such as magnesium, calcium and even iron can cause your grout to yellow. If your water has a high iron concentration, you may also notice yellow or orange stains in your shower.
- Using the wrong cleaning products, harsh chemicals and products with bleach, wax and dyes can discolor grout lines.
- Humidity and moisture are a breeding grounds for mold, mildew, and bacteria. Bathrooms are usually small, closed spaces and may have less ventilation than other rooms. Trapped moisture on your shower tile and grout can cause yellow and or orange stains.
- The surface was not sealed, or the sealant has been broken down or worn away.
Ceramic tile floor during our deep grout cleaning service.
Deep Cleaning Is What We Do!
Deep cleaning your grout and tile is what we do! We use our own grout cleaning and tile cleaning products in our grout cleaning service that are designed to break down grease, dirt, and other contaminants leaving your grout clean and healthy. Our grout cleaning products are safe for you, your pets, our Grout Doctors, and our environment!
Unfortunately, there are some stains that cannot be removed through the cleaning process. We will recommend that all the grout undergo our Color Seal service which will unify the color of the grout throughout an area. We ALWAYS recommend that your grout is Sealed before any use. Sealing (uncolored or colored grout) is a service we offer in conjunction with our deep grout and tile cleaning. Learn more about our Grout Sealing/Color Sealing services here.